Sheboygan Falls, WI. – The Wisconsin Historical Society placed the Sheboygan Falls School (Sheboygan Falls, Sheboygan County) on the State Register of Historic Places in February of 2021
The school known today as the Sheboygan Falls School was created through the combination of two stand-alone schools: a high school built in 1928 by architects Oppenhamer & Obel, and an elementary school built in 1949 by architect Edgar A. Stubenrauch. These two schools were eventually unified into a single building after multiple additions to the original structures. Today, this building represents the history of education in the Sheboygan Falls community. It was the city’s only public high school from 1928 to 1969. After the elementary school was constructed in 1949, it was the site of public education for all school-aged children in the district.
Sheboygan Falls School’s multiple additions reflect the growth of the community and its educational offerings. An addition in 1956 created a band room, space for the industrial arts, and an agricultural classroom and shop space. In addition to satisfying the general education needs of its students, the school’s curriculum was tailored to the specific needs of the community. For example, enrollment in agricultural courses climbed when the school district expanded to include surrounding rural areas. Today, this building continues to represent the history of educational trends and school expansion in Sheboygan Falls.
The State Register is Wisconsin’s official list of state properties determined to be significant to Wisconsin’s heritage. The State Historic Preservation Office at the Wisconsin Historical Society administers both the State Register and National Register in Wisconsin.
To learn more about the State and National Register programs in Wisconsin, visit www.wisconsinhistory.org.