MADISON – Wisconsin Conservation Voters issued this statement on the tragic events at the Oneida Casino complex on May 1.
“We’re heartbroken for the victims of yet another deadly shooting in Wisconsin and the country. We grieve alongside the families, friends, and loved ones of the victims.
With our own family, friends, loved ones, employees and allies – both personal and professional – in the Green Bay area and the Oneida Nation, this unspeakable violence is yet another instance that shatters the well-being and sense of safety in our communities.
And for communities already under siege by racism and with long histories of violence against them, this incident is imbued with especially devastating meaning and trauma.
Wisconsin Conservation Voters encourages people to give generously to organizations helping combat violence, addressing mental health issues, and helping communities recover from these traumas. And to consider how your vote can change the powers that are allowing gun violence to spread unchecked across our communities and our country.”
Please support local community organizations during this difficult time. Wisconsin Conservation Voters also encourages anyone experiencing difficulties during this time to reach out for help.
- Wise Women Gathering Place
- Brown County Crisis Center: 920-436-8888
- Outagamie County Crisis Center: 920-832-4646
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255
- The Oneida Nation (800-236-2214) is offering counseling services to employees and any patrons impacted by this event at the Irene Moore Activity Center (IMAC). Hours of service are 7 to 9 a.m., 12 to 2 p.m., and 5 to 7 p.m. No appointment is needed, and those interested are asked to enter through the employee entrance.