MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) today announced that the Caywood Shooting Range in Vilas County will re-open on July 31 for public weekend hours.
The range, located in Woodruff on U.S. Highway 51, will be open Saturdays and Sundays from 7 a.m. to dusk.
Those planning to use the range should be aware of a few changes in shooting operations, implemented to ensure safety at all DNR ranges, support a positive recreational experience by users and maintain good relationships with range neighbors. Changes made to operations include:
- 100-yard range for rifle shooting only. No handguns are allowed on this range.
- 25-yard range where handguns and rifles are allowed.
- Users may only shoot at the placed target stands provided by the DNR, with their paper targets attached.
- The Clay Shotgun Range will remain closed.
- Users will be expected to read and to follow the range rules which are posted on site
- Range staff may be present on-site to help monitor user behavior, ensure adherence to the rules and etiquette steps.
To report unsafe shooting practices, contact the Vilas County Sheriff’s Office or report it to the DNR Tip Line at 1-800-847-9367.
While the DNR is making considerable efforts to provide safe and accessible shooting opportunities, range users are asked to do their part in respecting and caring for these properties.
Most Wisconsin state shooting ranges, parks, forests and other day-use areas do not have garbage or recycling bins.Please take your garbage and recyclables home upon departure. Following the Leave No Trace principles help protect the land for generations to come.
Before visiting a state shooting range, please check the DNR’s Shooting Range webpage and individual range websites regarding changes to range operations.