Trump and his administration have declared that they are done trying to contain the pandemic and that we are “rounding the corner.” But with the Badger state hitting record high infection and death counts, and tens of thousands still looking for work, Wisconsinites know this couldn’t be further from the truth.
Trump has completely abandoned trying to address the COVID-19 pandemic, and Wisconsinites are bearing the burden of his failure.
- Wisconsin DHS: Wisconsin has seen a recent surge in cases, with nearly 230,000 being infected.
- Post Crescent: “Wisconsin officially passed 2,000 COVID-19 deaths Saturday, the same day the state set yet another daily record for new positive cases.”
- We Are Green Bay: “Of Wisconsin’s total COVID-19 cases, 48,208, or 21.4%, are active, according to DHS, compared to 46,833, or 21.3%, yesterday.”
A new study has shown Trump holding rallies with no social distancing has led to infections and deaths across the country, including in Wisconsin.
- CNBC: Researchers looked at 18 Trump rallies held between June 20 and Sept. 22 and analyzed Covid-19 data the weeks following each event…The researchers found that the rallies ultimately resulted in more than 30,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19. They also concluded that the rallies likely led to more than 700 deaths, though not necessarily among attendees.
- LA Times: “Two rallies in Wisconsin — one in Oshkosh on Aug. 17 and another in Mosinee on Sept. 17 — stood out in particular relief. Before each rally, the positivity rate of coronavirus tests in each county was essentially flat. But immediately after the rallies, the “positivity rates rose sharply and quickly” and continued rising for at least several weeks, the researchers reported.”
- “In Marathon County, home to Mosinee, the positivity rate started climbing immediately after the Sept. 17 rally and continued to climb sharply for several weeks. Only then did testing rates rise.”
- “In Winnebago County, home to Oshkosh, positivity rates roughly doubled over the first four weeks following the Aug. 17 rally, then continued to climb sharply. Not until several weeks after that spike did testing increase there.”
Donald Trump’s bungled response to COVID-19 has contributed to higher coronavirus cases, more deaths, and greater overall economic harm in the US compared to any of its peer countries.
- The Congressional Budget Office’s 10-year outlook now projects that the unemployment rate will not return to pre-pandemic levels before 2030.
- Prior to the pandemic, GDP was projected to grow 2.3% in 2020 (in line with the 10-year average), despite Trump’s claims that the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act would bring 4%, 5%, or even 6% growth. CBO now predicts that GDP will shrink by 5.8% in 2020.
- In Wisconsin, businesses are feeling the weight of the Trump Administration’s failure to lead an effective response.
- As factories are then forced to close, like a paper mill in Wisconsin Rapids which just laid off its 900 employees, workers and communities along the supply chain bear the brunt of the harm.
- The Wisconsin Department of Revenue forecasts that wages will fall 4.2% in the state in 2020 (compared to 3.5% nationwide) and that private employment will decline 7.8% in 2020 (and grow back just 4.8% in 2021).
- These projections come as Wisconsin families are struggling to make ends meet and Trump and Republicans have allowed federal benefits to expire.
- In September, 7% of Wisconsin households reported not having enough food to eat and 13% of all renters in Wisconsin reported being behind on rent.
Even in the middle of a deadly pandemic, Trump is still pursuing his attacks on the Affordable Care Act and the health care Wisconsinites rely upon, including protections for people with preexisting conditions.