Washington, DC—Rep. Ron Kind released the following statement after the Senate passed the United States Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA):
“Today, we cleared another hurdle in getting a trade deal signed into law that ensures a level playing field for Wisconsin farmers, workers, and families, keeps jobs in the United States, and makes this deal enforceable. The United States Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA) is a renewed commitment between the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, and I look forward to working with our trade allies to continue advancing a North American economy that creates good-paying jobs and is in line with our values. Now as USMCA heads to the President’s desk, I urge President Trump to move quickly and get this agreement signed into law so farmers can begin accessing new markets in Canada.”
Rep. Ron Kind worked tirelessly for years to push for the following to be included in the new USMCA trade agreement:
- Eliminated Canada’s class 7 dairy program, creating guaranteed access to the Canadian dairy market for Wisconsin farmers.
- Improved Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) standards for farmers
- Increased labor and environmental standards
- Created a digital chapter for the 21st Century
- Faster and more enforceable dispute settlement process