Contact: Senator Alberta Darling
On Wednesday, State Senator Alberta Darling (R-River Hills) issued the following statement after the Wisconsin State Senate approved a COVID-19 Response Bill.
“The COVID-19 pandemic isn’t just a health crisis, it’s an economic crisis for our state. People are sick, many are without jobs, and businesses are struggling right now.
This bill makes sure people get the help they need as quickly as possible. It cuts red tape which allows the administration to act quickly to respond to the needs of our constituents.
I’m proud to support this bill because it’s more than bi-partisan. The ideas in this legislation came from Republicans, Democrats, and experts affected by the pandemic and the shutdown. It is truly a Wisconsin-made solution to the crisis we all face.
What our state needs now is to hear what plan Governor Evers has to restart our economy in a safe way and get people back to work.”
The COVID-19 Response Bill:
- Removes the one-week waiting period for unemployment benefits
- Removes co-pays for COVID-19 testing
- Expands SeniorCare to cover vaccinations
- Allows pharmacists to extend prescriptions
- Sets aside $75 million for future unexpected needs
- Prohibits health insurance coverage discrimination based on COVID-19
- Qualify Wisconsin for extra federal resources to help fund Medicaid
- Eases licensing requirements for healthcare professionals and emergency medical responders
- Provides the needed flexibilities to school districts to complete the school year online
Asks WEDC to develop a plan to help the state’s major industries to recover
The bill now heads to Governor Evers for final approval.
Senator Darling represents portions of Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington and Waukesha Counties.