MILWAUKEE, WI (May 5, 2020) — Herb Kohl Philanthropies has contributed $75,000 to the Milwaukee Public Schools Foundation’s Nutrition Fund. The Steve Stricker American Family Insurance Foundation has donated $25,000 to the to the foundation’s COVID-19 Relief Fund. These gifts bring the total amount raised to over $160,000, and will provide an additional 1,200 supply kits for students and families as well as 24,000 meals.
“The mission of the Steve Stricker American Family Insurance Foundation is to support programs that promote healthy children and families,” said Bill Westrate, president of American Family Insurance. “We’re pleased to know this gift will help the MPS Foundation reach 50% of the district’s anticipated supply kit goal, and we invite others in the community to join the effort in assisting students and families through COVID-19 relief.”
“The MPS Foundation’s commitment to making sure children and families have access to healthy food at this difficult time definitely inspired our support.” said JoAnne Anton of Herb Kohl Philanthropies, “On Giving Tuesday, and beyond, we hope that our combined commitment will encourage even more support for this critical need.”
The MPS Foundation is working to offset the most urgent needs of students and their families through two newly established funds:
COVID-19 Relief Fund – The relief fund will help support e-learning tools for students and staff; household supplies like hand soap, laundry detergent, and other cleaning supplies; and activity packages with academic materials, cards, board games, and other items.
- The Steve Stricker American Family Insurance Foundation has contributed $25,000 to provide approximately 1,200 additional supply kits. Academic kits will include academic books and games, arts and crafts supplies, playing cards, board games, and puzzles. Hygiene kits will include laundry detergent, hand soap, and a variety of cleaning supplies.
- Initial donors Khris Middleton and the Joseph and Vera Zilber Family Trust Fund have given $25,000 each to provide MPS students with approximately 2,500 supply kits.
- Boswell Book Company will provide funding and coordination for an effort to distribute books to families in need.
Nutrition Support – The Nutrition Support fund will help MPS continue to provide healthy meals, snacks, and food packages for our students, families, and community members in need.
- Herb Kohl Philanthropies has provided $75,000 to support food packages for adults and families in our community.
- A partnership with T-Mobile and MPS’ Strategic Partnerships department will distribute $5,000 in Walmart gift cards for families at Samuel Clemens School.
“We’re truly grateful that our longtime partner Herb Kohl Philanthropies and new partner Steve Stricker American Family Insurance Foundation have joined the collaboration. We hope this encourages the community towards achieving our goals for food, basic needs, and academic support,” said Wendell Willis, Executive Director of the MPS Foundation.
Throughout the course of 2020, the Foundation will continue to support a variety of MPS projects and student needs and looks forward to joining forces with the community to enhance its impact for 78,000 students in Milwaukee Public Schools.
Since its reconstitution in 2015, the MPS Foundation has provided over $2.6 million in grant commitments to MPS students and district programs.
To make a gift to the COVID-19 Relief Fund, the Nutrition Fund, or to read more about the MPS Foundation and its impact on student achievement, please visit www.mpsfdn.org.