Steven Theisen, WisDOT Project Communications Manager
(608) 884-1230, [email protected]
Motorists encouraged to plan ahead, be alert and drive with caution.
Starting Friday morning (April 19), all Interstate 39/90 traffic will shift onto the northbound side of the Interstate between East Church Road, two miles north of the US 51 interchange (Stoughton Exit 156), and County AB near Madison in Dane County. Two lanes will remain open in each direction, separated by a median barrier wall. Motorists are urged to be alert for crossovers, eliminate distractions, don’t tailgate and drive with caution through this area.
The I-39/90 southbound ramps to and from County N (Exit 147) will be closed from 10 p.m. tomorrow (April 18) to 4 a.m. Friday to facilitate the traffic switch. Motorists must use alternate routes during those timeframes.
The I-39/90 work zone speed limit will be reduced to 60 mph within these limits from north of Edgerton to Madison. Drivers are advised to obey the posted speed limit.
Please note the traffic switch and work operations are weather dependent and subject to change. In the event of a weather delay, the traffic switch will occur later in the week.
The following local roads under I-39/90 are scheduled to be closed as part of the Interstate expansion within these limits:
- County MN under I-39/90 is closed until fall 2019. Motorists are required to use alternate routes, such as the posted detour of US 12/18 and County AB.
- Drotning Road under I-39/90 is closed until fall 2019. Alternate local routes are required.
- County W under the Interstate remains open until late May 2019.
- County B under I-39/90 remains open until mid-June 2019.
The road closure durations are also weather and work dependent, and subject to change.