Contact: [email protected]
MADISON – Gov. Tony Evers today signed Executive Order #19 relating to the creation of the committee to celebrate the centennial anniversary of Wisconsin’s ratification of the 19th Amendment.
On June 10, 1919, Wisconsin made history by becoming the first state to ratify the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution granting national suffrage to women. This early and important vote would pave the way for other states to follow suit.
“Now more than ever, it’s important that we celebrate and elevate women and their contributions to our communities and our state while also acknowledging the important work we still have yet to do for equity, equality, and the inclusion of women across our state. I know this committee will serve as an important effort to educate folks and celebrate women’s suffrage and the 19th Amendment in Wisconsin,” said Gov. Evers.
The governor’s executive order commemorates this historic moment and charges the newly-formed committee with:
- Educating the public on Wisconsin’s role in the fight for women’s suffrage and the right to vote and celebrating our state being the first to ratify the 19th Amendment;
- Planning and preparing educational activities and toolkits for kids and teachers across Wisconsin;
- Engaging the public in this celebrating and coordinating events across Wisconsin; and
- Ensuring that the education, events, and celebration of Wisconsin ratifying the 19th
Amendment acknowledges that the 19th Amendment did not guarantee the right for all
women to vote.
Gov. Evers today designated Mrs. Kathy Evers as the Chairwoman of the Executive Committee and committee members serving on the Executive Committee as follows:
- First Lady Kathy Evers, Chairwoman, Gov. Tony Evers’ Designee
- Janet Piriano, U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin’s Designee
- Shirley Ellis, Congresswoman Gwen Moore’s Designee
- Shannon Holsey, President of the Stockbridge-Munsee Community – Band of Mohican Indians
- State Supreme Court Justice Patience Roggensack
- State Treasurer Sarah Godlewski
- State Superintendent Carolyn Stanford Taylor
- Rebecca Kleefisch, former Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin
- Barbara Lawton, former Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin
- Senate Minority Leader Jennifer Shilling
- Senator Janet Bewley
- Senator Alberta Darling
- Senator Lena Taylor
- Representative Joan Ballweg
- Representative Melissa Sargent
- Representative Shelia Stubbs
- Representative JoCasta Zamarripa
- Debra Cronmiller, League of Women Voters of Wisconsin
- Kate Easton, Wisconsin Historical Society
- Deb Erwin, Wisconsin Women in Government
- Christine Lidbury, Wisconsin Women’s Council
- Karla Strand, Gender and Women’s Studies Librarian, University of Wisconsin System
- T.R. Williams, Wisconsin Women’s Network
View Executive Order #19 here.