CHIPPEWA FALLS – Graze River Country, a series of pasture walks coming up this summer and fall, will highlight graziers across western Wisconsin. The events are being co-sponsored by River Country RC&D and Wisconsin Farmers Union.
“Interest is grazing continues to grow as farmers look to be better stewards of the land, improve animal comfort and improve their cost efficiencies,” said Wisconsin Farmers Union Executive Director Tom Quinn. “We’re pleased to be able to partner with River Country RC&D to give farmers a glimpse on the ‘other side of the fence’ at the innovative practices being implemented by graziers across the region.”
Please RSVP to Mary C. Anderson at 715-579-2206. Learn more at www.wisconsinfarmersunion.com or www.rivercountryrcd.org.
Upcoming events include:
- , June 14, 6:30pm Twilight Walk, John Accola farm, S363 Cty. Rd. Y, Mondovi. Beef cow-calf, pasture renovation and traveling-gun irrigation.
- , June 28, 6:30pm Twilight Walk, Ben Mrdutt farm, E3861 1220th Ave, Boyceville. Beef cow calf and Grazing in the Red Cedar Watershed.
- , July 8, 9:30am-12pm, Dave and Will Peasley farm, N7271 State Hwy 12, Black River Falls. Pasture layout and land conservation projects to move cattle to grazing acres.
- , July 21, 10am-4pm, Mark and Heather Flashinski’s Farm Sweet Farm, 16294 250th St., Cadott. Multi-species 15-year grazing operation and the GrassWorks Annual Picnic.
- , Aug. 12, 1-3pm, Randy and Liz Mittag farm, N6834 County Road E, River Falls. Grazing system establishment and dealing with excess flooding, establishing waterways, beef cow-calf and Hereford genetics.
- , Aug. 19, 10am-12pm, Brad Midtling, Townside Jerseys, 2891 U.S. Hwy. 12, Wilson. Lane improvements and organic dairy.
- , Aug. 29, 6:30pm, Ashly and Stacy Steinke, Sedge Wood Farms, 30101 190th Ave., Cornell. The beginning stages of starting a beef farm and conversion from row crops to grass pasture.
- , Sept. 8, 12-3pm, Joe and Kristy (Rosemary) Lulich, 63375 U.S. Hwy. 63, Mason. Dairy Grazing Apprenticeship Program and pasture layout improvements.
- , Sept. 23, 11am-3pm, Charles Flodquist and John Richmond, 12454 20th St., Colfax. Dairy Grazing Apprenticeship Program, farm transition tips and the River Country RC&D Annual Picnic.
- , Oct. 28, 10am-12pm, Brad and Melissa Larson, N10688 Cty. Rd. M, Colfax. Fall cover crops and how they fit in with a grazing operation.
Graze River Country is a joint effort of Wisconsin Farmers Union and River Country RC&D. Find the latest event details at www.wisconsinfarmersunion.com or www.rivercountryrcd.org.